Maghera Church will remain closed until restrictions are lifted.
St Stephen’s Chapel at Maghera dates from 1932, and was built to cater for the population of the eastern part of Quin parish. Built at a cost of £3,000 it was the first church in that part of the parish. The tabernacle at Maghera came originally from Ballyea Church. In 1976 the church was renovated under the supervision of William Judge, following which it was re-dedicated by Bishop Michael Harty.
In 1819 the then parish priest of Quin, Patrick Mahon, a native of Spancilhill, became coadjutor bishop of Killaloe, and bishop of the diocese in 1829. Bishop Mahon died in 1863 and is buried in Quin Abbey. His nephew Fr. Daniel Corbett, the ‘Father Dan’ of the emigrant song, ‘Spancilhill’ which also refers to the church in Clooney, had the distinction of being parish priest of Quin for fifty seven years until his death in 1893.